2019 Best Compact Cameras That Got Cheaper in 2020
Are you looking to upgrade your compact camera? Are you a first time shooter looking to develop your skills as an underwater photographer? Whatever your compact camera needs, we reviewed the best compacts for underwater photography in 2019 and we are reminding you about them now. As camera manufacturers are promoting their new 2020 products, many of these amazing compacts can now be picked up at discounted rates!
Two Fish Divers Top Pick – Olympus Tough TG-5
The TG-6 is the current Olympus model – get online and find great deals on the TG-5!!!
The Olympus TG-5 receives rave reviews across the board and we are finding them hard to disagree with. This exciting compact captures incredible images both underwater and on land. The camera itself is waterproof to 15meters, shockproof, crushproof, freeze-proof, and dust proof for adventure and travel. We recommend using it with the Olympus underwater housing and either a strobe or video light for best results.
- Undisputed king of macro
- All new sensor with massive improvements in image quality, with sharper images and improved low-light performance
- 4K 30p and 120p HD video
- Can’t execute a custom white balance in movie mode
- 4K and 120p HD are only available in movie mode, not in microscope mode or aperture priority
- We were hoping this new release would have full manual exposure control, but alas we have been let down again
- Panasonic Lumix may be more appropriate for those who don’t have an interest in macro and prefer to shoot wide angle
The GoPro HERO07 Black edition
Online stores are now offering a variety of discount packages and prices for the HERO07 black!!
The GoPro HERO 07 Black was the latest mini gadget from Go Pro in 2019. It offers improved image stabilization as well as improvements on colour, contrast and clarity when compared to previous editions. This was a lot of fun to review!
- Gimble like image stabilization
- Better colour, contrast and clarity underwater
- Super new TimeWarp and 1080 at 240fps
- Field of view has limited settings for adjustment
Panasonic Lumix X10
Check out latest deals from Panasonic! This is an awesome camera across the board. It has 4k video and excellent still image quality. The white balance is accurate, giving great colours underwater. If you are looking to shoot both video and still shots – underwater and on land, this could be the right choice for you.
- Excellent image quality, for both stills and video
- 4K video with stabilization
- Features like zebra stripping, focus peaking, and back button AF remind us more of features from SLR, not a compact
- Accurate custom white balance even at depth
- No manual flash control
- Macro shooting requires powerful external macro lenses to overcome the lackluster native macro performance.
The latest addition to the RX100 range in 2019 and it came with some great improvements. What set it apart from other RX100’s was the new 24-200mm lens – making it extremely versatile both underwater and on land. Underwater you’ll find that you are able to shoot super macro with an additional macro lens added on. For wideangle enthusiast, you’ll find it delivers sharp images with good colours. Imaging from the RX100VI is getting as close as you can to an SLR with a camera that fits in your pocket!
- 24 FPS in RAW, with focus
- 24-200mm lens allows super tight macro
- Lens zoom range is fantastic for dual topside/underwater use, but still fits in your pocket
- Video quality is excellent
- AF speed and tracking in continuous mode rivals top-end mirrorless and SLR cameras
- 24-200mm lens requires different ports for true wide angle and macro
- Long or multiple back to back clips in 4K video can lead to overheating
- Improved, but not great manual white balance
- No manual flash output control
- Versatility and compact size comes at a price that’s not far off from an SLR
Canon Powershot G7 X II
Canon’s Powershop range is forever evolving – buy one model behind the latest and you’ll make some great savings! The Powershot G7 X II released in 2019 is still one of the best manual white balance functions around – which gives stunning colours underwater. On of the new functions is that the camera’s internal flash can be set manually to a low power allowing a quick recycle time. This is often a preferable method to shooting TTL as you can take more shots in a shorter period of time to get that perfect image. If you are looking to shoot video however, be aware that there is no 4k video shooting on this model.
- Great custom white balance color
- Best macro capability in the Advanced Compact category
- Manual flash exposure option for rapid fire shooting
- 10+ button push custom white balance procedure
- Short port required for wide angle accessory lens
- No 4K video
Whichever camera you decide on for you, one thing is for sure – they all deliver excellent imaging quality and you’ll have a lot of fun with them underwater and on land. Buying last year’s model is a great way to get a good deal but you might not find them so easily in retail outlets – your best bet is to get online and start searching for deals and discounts!
Want to save money on your dive and stay package too? Check out our latest special offers HERE!!
Did you know that the Lembeh Strait is a mecca for underwater photographers? Our Two Fish Divers Lembeh Resort is geared up for underwater photographers with camera rinse tanks, charging sockets and our team love to help review your images after a day of diving in the Strait! If you’d like to know more about diving in Lembeh, fill out the form below and we’ll get right back to you.